PhD student with specialist knowledge in machine learning, inverse problems, analytical error
propagation, iterative algorithms, and neutron spectrum measurement; as well as a strong
aptitude and a unique approach to problem-solving.
1 Research experience
Neutron spectrum unfolding suite developer (using Neural Networks) Jun—Sep
- Developed a novel approach to the long-standing problem of inferring the neutron
spectrum in a mathematically underdetermined system.
- Collaborated with other programmers on the same repository using Git.
- Developed and optimized a Neural Network using Google’s TensorFlow framework, which
is then incorporated into the unfolding suite along with the appropriate documentations.
Nuclear Physics Laboratory Oct—Dec 2019, Oct—Dec
- Identified unknown elements using neutron activation analysis and gamma spectroscopy
using a High Purity Germanium detector.
- Measured the neutron flux in neutron bath using a BF3 detector.
- Analysed the results using Pythons numerical processing capability; and then visualized
them graphically via Python as well.
Summer Physics internship, School of Physics and Astronomy, University of BirminghamJul—Aug
- Worked on a group project to produce a working prototype of a radiation detection drone.
- Gained relevant specialist knowledge about the workings of cyclotron, GPS and radiation
detector, as well as radiation protection procedures.
Fusor Group Project, University of Birmingham Oct 2015—Sep
- Recruited as part of Fusor Project team, following from an interview selection process.
- Worked with 7 other more senior students to build a Farsworth nuclear fusor.
- Successfully applied for a grant of £2800 on behalf of the group to cover the cost of the
2 Software repertoire
- Programming languages: Python, Fortran, Bash, R, C++, PowerShell
- GIT: GitHub (@OceanNuclear) and GitLab(@OceanNuclear)
- Markdown language: LaTeX
- Propreitory software: Abaqus, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe InDesign, Vectr, Microsoft
PhD Physics, Sheffield Hallam University Oct 2019—Oct
Title: ENFUSE: Effective Neutron Spectrometery for FUSion Environment
- Reviewed existing algorithms and developed new algorithms for neutron spectrum
unfolding in underdetermined condition
- Selected foils to be used according their unfolding effectiveness and feasibility
- Expected to design a module for neutron activation foil irradiation inside fusion reactors
as part of the degree.
MSc Physics and Technology of Nuclear Reactors, University of Birmingham Oct 2018—Oct
Results: distinction; modules:
- Nuclear Instrumentation, Radiation Dosimetry and Protection
- Radiation Transport, Thermal Hydraulics and Reactor Engineering
- Reactor Materials, Reactor System and NDE
- Practical Skills
- Research Project
BSc Nuclear Science and Materials, University of Birmingham Sep 2015—Jul
Results: 2:1; modules:
- Classical Mechanics and Relativity 1 & 2
- Electromagnetism I and Temperature and Matter (including Electric Circuits)
- Statistical Physics and Entropy
- Particles and Nuclei and Nuclear Physics
- Mathematics for Physicist 1A & 2
- Physics Laboratory 1 & 2
- Physics Communication Skills (including C++ Computing)
Shung Tak Catholic English College (Hong Kong) Sep 2009—Jul
HKDSE (Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education exam)
- Physics 5**, English 5*, Algebra and Calculus 5, Chemistry 5, Mathematics 4, Biology 4
- Equivalent to A*A*AABB in A levels